Residential Building Permits
The City of Georgetown has adopted the 2012 International Residential Code (IRC) and the 2000 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC) and the 2014 NEC
A building permit is required to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert, or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system.
If the project address is located within the ETJ/County and the City of Georgetown is the water, wastewater, and/or electric provider, then building permits will apply.
How to obtain a permit:
The City of Georgetown utilizes MyGovernmentOnline.org, a web-based permitting software. This system allows homeowners, contractors, and developers the ability to log in using a unique password and account ID to:
- Submit digital plans and documents that will be reviewed, stored, and linked to the users secure account
- Track the status of current projects including comments, mark-ups and other relevant information
- Schedule Inspections and receive real-time notification of the results via email and phone message
- Apply and pay for permits online
Click here for the instructions to apply for permits online.
Apply online at www.mygovernmentonline.org for any of the permits listed below:
- Accessory Building (Storage Building, Carport, Tool Shed)
- Accessory Building (Habitable Space)
- Driveways & Sidewalks
- Mechanical, Electrical, and/or Plumbing Trade
- Foundation Repair
- Residential Additions/Remodel
- Residential New Construction
- Patio Cover
- Patio/Patio Ext
- Photovoltaic Interconnection Package
- Swimming Pools
- Solar Attic Fans
- Water Heater
- Water Softener
- Temporary Use Permit
- Floodplain Development Permit
- Contractor Registration
Residential Plan Review:
Residential Plan Review is ten (10) business days from the time your application is accepted. Once the permit is issued you will receive notification via email from email@example.com and the amount of the permit.
Click here for the construction fee schedule.
Inspections are conducted Monday thru Friday 8:00am to 3:30pm.
All inspections must be requested online at www.mygovernmentonline.org before 3:00pm for next business days in most cases. We do not accept inspection request via telephone.
Inspectors are available for any questions you may have Monday thru Friday 3:30pm to 4:30pm or you can email them at any time.
Residential Certificate of Occupancy:
The City of Georgetown does not issue a Certificate of Occupancy for residential homes. The building final inspection serves as the Certificate of Occupancy. If you are the permit holder, you may print the building final report from your www.mygovernmentonline.org account.
General Permitting Questions:
For any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (512) 930-2550
How to use My Government Online:
For instructions on how to use www.mygovernmentonline.org, click here
For My Government Online Tech Support – (866) 957-3764